School Phone #: 814-484-3550
Spanish is a language and is, therefore, meant for communication. In class we’ll be listening, reading, speaking, and writing the Spanish language. You will be expected to participate regardless of the activity. I do not expect perfection, but do expect effort. You’ll be expected to be prepared for class by studying and practicing both in and out of class.
We’ll learn about the places where Spanish is spoken in addition to learning the language. I am insisting that all students remain respectful of other cultures and will enforce this expectation. .
1. Be prepared: Have your homework, notebook, pen, pencil & paper in class every day.
2. Participate: A large part of learning a foreign language is conversing in the language. Students are required to participate in class by answering questions, asking questions, singing, and participating in group activities.
3. Come to School: Success depends on active participation in the language. Therefore, attendance is very important.
4. Make up Missed Work: Make sure that you make up all work that you miss from being absent.
5. Complete AND CORRECT your Homework: Assignments will be given on a daily basis. Homework is checked in class and credit is given for completion. Students should do their homework and, most importantly, check it and correct any errors they have made.
6. Be Honest: Cheating on any assignment will result in a zero. Cheating is considered using, giving or receiving unauthorized help. Also, students may not use software or the Internet to translate any material from English to Spanish for any assignment. This is considered plagiarizing and will result in a zero for the assignment and a referral to administration.
7. Have Good Behavior: Above all, students should be courteous and respectful to the teacher and each other. Students should never behave in a way that disrupts the class by preventing the teacher from teaching or the other students from learning. All behavior policies will be strictly enforced.
8. Be responsible: You are in control of yourself. You earn your grades, I do not give them. If you are absent, you need to find out what you missed.
*All other school rules apply-no cheating, no cell phones or electronics, no weapons, etc.!
*If you attempt to use google translator or any other translator, it will be considered cheating and will be handled according to the school policy.
🡪If you know you’ll be absent, check in with me before then.
🡪If it is an unplanned absence, your parent can call the school and ask that your work be collected to be picked up by them, a sibling, or a neighbor!
🡪It is your responsibility to find out what you missed in class and what is due. You can stop in to ask, e-mail me, and/or find out from a classmate.
🡪If you do not understand your assignment, you must translate the assignment into English in order to receive credit.
If you are late to class three times without a pass you will receive the following:
- Lunch detention
- Call home and after school detention
- Referral to the office
🡪Everything is graded. If I assign it, it will be graded.
🡪Vocabulary: Each lesson comes with a set of vocabulary words. Students will write each vocabulary 3 times each. This is either completely done or it is a zero. NO exceptions.
🡪Homework: Every night’s homework = study vocabulary!
Grading will be done as follows:
[Tests, Quizes, and Projects]
[Speaking Tasks & Class work]
[Homework, skits, and possibly other class work that serves as practice]
🡪Checking your grade:
-Parents can check PowerSchool for grades and missing assignments. .
-Spanish grades will be kept as up-to-date as possible so that students and parents can remain completely informed-ask the teacher at any time!
-If at any time you feel you need extra help please let me know. I am available before school, after school, and during lunch. Before and after school you need to make arrangements ahead of time so I can plan accordingly.
You’ll need the following items in order to fulfill the requirements of Spanish class. These items should be carried with you each and every class for the whole year.
Textbooks and workbooks will be distributed and used daily. You are responsible for the care of these books and are required to return it in the condition in which it was received. You must also bring it to class with you each day. **Any textbook returned in unsatisfactory condition, will result in you paying for its replacement.
🡪 Online textbook at my.hrw.com
🡪Textbook and workbook